Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Auctions are my friend!

I love going to auctions for deals. I don't like the whole waiting around all day while they sell what I want last, but you can find great deals if you are patient. We went to a neighbor's estate sale this past week and I wasn't let down. It was a short auction, so the kids weren't in too much pain! :) I ended up having to leave during it to do a scheduled photoshoot, but left Matthew in the know of what I wanted and was willing to give. I come back to see 2 things I wanted sitting beside him. Yeah! Now, I have to know how much he paid. The most important, most exciting thing was a flat of old vintage cameras. I've watched them sell before at auctions way out of my price range, so to know I got FIVE of them, I was stoked. Plus, they were so inclusive with the lenses and full leather snap on cases -- very hard to get finds. I'm sure you all know this though, right! ha!

Here is what I got:


The two on the far right are the EXACTA VXIIb and VXIIa - they are German cameras and only have German on them - pretty cool! The one is the middle is still an unknown to me as I couldn't find it on eBay. :) The second one from the left is actually a movie camera -- again, how cool is that?! It's a Bell & Howell 252. Then, I saved my favorite for last -- the one on the far left.


This one is a Kodak Junior Six 16 - it came with the original box and manuals and had other photo prices and coupons in the box as well. So fun to look through. I am amazed at just how much has stayed the same on cameras over the years. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now, I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with these cameras now that I have them. I think I would eventually like to be able to display them somewhere in my studio. I love having them as I think they are a reflection of who I am in some way. Thanks for letting me share my finds. Oh -- did I mention we paid $2.50 for them all!!!?! Judging from eBay auctions, I'd estimate they are worth around $200.00. Auctions are my friend. Hey, I might even eBay one to buy more photo equipment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! They look terrific! One reminds me of the camera my grandfather had and lost one time when we were in Colorado. You got a great deal on all of them. Who would have thought! Keep up the good work on the auctions.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fantastic find! Good for you. I haven't seen your studio, but I'm sure they would look awesome displayed in there somewhere.