Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Privacy please?!

So, now my 22 month old daughter thinks she needs to be by herself to go to the bathroom! Seriously, how much privacy does not quite a 2 year old need??? Sunday night Matthew turned Ryane's little potty chair into a step stool and showed her how to climb up on the big potty herself. Well, yesterday, Ryane decided she needed her own privacy when going to the bathroom. After she told me to "go", I think she stayed in there 10-15 minutes before she was done. I continuously checked on her trying to be patient and was continuously told to go back downstairs. Another time, she said potty and took off by herself. Fine - I gave her some time to do it by herself and when I went up to check on her, I found that she closed the door! Yikes as I still know our cabinets locks that we bought for the bathroom are still on kitchen counter (good parenting, I know)! I held my breath and opened the door not knowing what I'd find. Ryane was close the door and told me no and pushed it shut. Fine, I can respect her need to be independent and gave her a bit more time. Finally she opened the door and was so proud of herself for going potty all by herself. I was just happy I didn't have a mess to clean up in the bathroom, so we celebrated together. Leaving her alone makes me nervous (the baby oil incident is still fresh in my mind!). I know she has to learn and be given a chance, but I still fear what I'll walk in on. One of my many lessons of patience for me.

0 comments: